Re: [Groff] clarification for mdoc headers/footers

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] clarification for mdoc headers/footers
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 08:58:07 +0200 (CEST)

> Can someone please point me to documentation or share examples for
> defining the mdoc headers/footers?

I'm not aware of this being documented specially.  Patches to
groff_mdoc are highly welcomed.  [On the other hand, what you want to
achieve is probably not how it should behave by default.]  Note that
this manual page currently confuses `headers' with `headings'.

> 1) I don't want the top middle header to not show anything if it is
> section 8.

This sentence looks funny.  I suppose you mean

  I want the top middle header to not show anything if it is
  section 8.

> So I edited /usr/share/tmac/mdoc.local to add (set to nothing):
>
>   .ds volume-ds-8
>   .ds volume-ds-SMM
>
> and changed to set to nothing:
>
>   .ds volume-operating-system

This is OK.

> I am concerned that changing the volume-ds-8 and
> volume-operating-system may change the content of my manpages too.
> Can anyone confirm these are for header only or not?

It affects only the header.

> But I now see another problem as my architecture is shown like
> "/alpha" (before it would be prefixed by operating system).  So I
> may re-enable volume-operating-system setting.  Any thoughts on
> this?

You might want to completely redefine the `doc-header' function (which
is just called `header' for the installed macros); then you can fix
the problems specific to section 8.

> 2) I want the bottom left footer to not show the operating system
> and version.
>
> So I edited same /usr/share/tmac/mdoc.local to set to nothing:
>
>   .ds default-operating-system

OK.

> I am concerned that changing default-operating-system might change
> my content too and not just my left footer.  Is that for the footer
> only?

Yes.

> 3) And I don't want the manual page name repeated on both the left
> and right sides of top header.  Only on right side is fine for me.
>
> I am not sure how to solve that. Any ideas?

Redefine `doc-footer' and `doc-end-macro' (`footer' and `end-macro',
resp.).