[Groff] clarification for mdoc headers/footers

From: Jeremy C. Reed
Subject: [Groff] clarification for mdoc headers/footers
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 08:52:52 -0500 (CDT)

Can someone please point me to documentation or share examples for
defining the mdoc headers/footers?

I am looking at groff_mdoc(7) but I am not sure if I am overlooking
something.

1) I don't want the top middle header to not show anything if it is
section 8.

So I edited /usr/share/tmac/mdoc.local to add (set to nothing):
.ds volume-ds-8
.ds volume-ds-SMM
and changed to set to nothing:
.ds volume-operating-system

So in this case I lose my operating system for other sections, but I guess
that is okay. (So for section 1 it shows "General Commands Manual" without
the operating system.)

I am concerned that changing the volume-ds-8 and volume-operating-system
may change the content of my manpages too. Can anyone confirm these are
for header only or not?

But I now see another problem as my architecture is shown like "/alpha"
(before it would be prefixed by operating system). So I may re-enable
volume-operating-system setting. Any thoughts on this?

2) I want the bottom left footer to not show the operating system and
version.

So I edited same /usr/share/tmac/mdoc.local to set to nothing:
.ds default-operating-system

I am concerned that changing default-operating-system might change my
content too and not just my left footer. Is that for the footer only?

3) And I don't want the manual page name repeated on both the left and
right sides of top header. Only on right side is fine for me.

I am not sure how to solve that. Any ideas?

Any better suggestions for these?

Thanks!

  Jeremy C. Reed

echo 'EhZ[h ^jjf0%%h[[Zc[Z_W$d[j%Xeeai%ZW[ced#]dk#f[d]k_d%' | \