Re: [Groff] Re: Mysteries of .em request

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Mysteries of .em request
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 23:00:23 -0400

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

... my summary of
the whole issue is that I'll probably implement an `.em1' request
which doesn't have this silly restriction -- or can someone name any
reason for this bizarre behaviour of `.em'?

I'm guessing the original intent and assumption for .em was to make sure the last footer (and perhaps endnotes) got printed, and there was no incentive to have it do anything different.

The .em1 request sounds like a good compromise, just in case there *are* people who depend on the restrictions of the original.

-- Larry