[Groff] Heirloom: trouble using Chinese ttf font

From: FENG Yu Ning
Subject: [Groff] Heirloom: trouble using Chinese ttf font
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 23:22:55 +0800

Hello,

Since I cannot find the mailing list of Heirloom, and the maintainer
seems to be on this list, I think it might be proper to ask for help
here.

I ran into trouble trying to use some Chinese ttf fonts in troff
and/or dpost. In the same postscript output, the other latin font
works, but the Chinese font does not. The following is information
that I think is worth mentioning.

the troff source:

----BEGIN----
.do xflag 3
.fp 0 KA gkai00mp ttf
.fp 0 DJ DejaVuSerif ttf
.ft KA
世界,你好!
.ft DJ
Hello, world!
----END----

gkai00mp.ttf is one of the fonts I mentioned above. It is provided in
Debian. I use the font on screen so the font itself should be OK.

troff output:

----BEGIN----
x T ps
x res 72000 1 1
x init
V0
p1
x font 1 R /usr/ucblib/doctools/font/devps/R.afm 4
x font 2 I /usr/ucblib/doctools/font/devps/I.afm 4
x font 3 B /usr/ucblib/doctools/font/devps/B.afm 4
x font 4 BI /usr/ucblib/doctools/font/devps/BI.afm 4
x font 5 CW /usr/ucblib/doctools/font/devps/CW.afm 4
x font 6 H /usr/ucblib/doctools/font/devps/H.afm 4
x font 7 HB /usr/ucblib/doctools/font/devps/HB.afm 4
x font 8 HX /usr/ucblib/doctools/font/devps/HX.afm 4
x font 9 S1 /usr/ucblib/doctools/font/devps/S1.afm 516
x font 10 S /usr/ucblib/doctools/font/devps/S.afm 1028
x font 11 KA /home/yuning/workshop/roff/gkai00mp.ttf 4
x X SupplyFont gkai00mp.TTF /home/yuning/workshop/roff/gkai00mp.ttf
x font 12 DJ /home/yuning/workshop/roff/DejaVuSerif.ttf 4
x X SupplyFont DejaVuSerif /home/yuning/workshop/roff/DejaVuSerif.ttf
s10
f11
x X LC_CTYPE zh_CN.UTF-8
H72000
V12000
CPSuni4E16
h10000CPSuni754C
h10000CPSuniFF0C
h10000CPSuni4F60
h10000CPSuni597D
h10000CPSuniFF01
wf12
h13330cH
h8720ce
h5910cl
h3190cl
h3190co
h6020c,
wh6500cw
h8550co
h6020cr
h4780cl
h3190cd
h6400c!
n12000 0
x trailer
V792000
x stop

I wondered, why "gkai00mp.TTF" but "DejaVuSerif" (no ".TTF")?

I don't know what "CPSuni" means exactly, but I checked 4E16 and other
hexadecimal numbers. They seem to be valid UTF-16 codes corresponding
to my Chinese text.

And, excerpt of the postscript output: