Re: [Groff] Creating Word/rtf output

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Creating Word/rtf output
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 23:02:54 -0500

Robert Goulding wrote:

... this isn't so different from opening up the
HTML in OpenOffice, changing the HTML "styles" to standard document
files and then saving as an rtf/doc.

Indeed, that's the way I've handled requests for a "Word version" of docs at work. I've set up my macros to spit out reasonably good HTML, that can at least be cleaned up with Tidy. Then again, I don't do footnotes very often (or at all).

It seems to me that I'm going to have to learn OpenOffice's scripting
language, and figure a way to automate the inclusion of footnote text
contained in another file.

Perhaps what you could do is to modify the FS/FE macros to wrap the footnote text in a div element -- something like:

[div class="footnote"]This is the footnote text.[/div]

There are XSLT scripts out there that will transform XHTML to RTF; modifying one of those to handle your footnotes in line would probably be the easiest way to deal with this situation.

-- Larry

P.S. On a slightly related note, I've been working on a way to extract text from a PDF and transform it to markup based on font face and point sizes. It's hardly automatic, given the myriad variations in formatting, but I can get reasonable results... again, except for footnotes.