Re: [Groff] groff info files for ubuntu

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff info files for ubuntu
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 22:40:13 +0000

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 04:48:11PM +0100, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi Clarke,
> > I tried to access the groff texinfo system on my Ubuntu Linux system,
> > but it's not there (groff 1.18.1).  When I go to the Add/Remove menu
> > item under Applications, it seems unable to find anything (It's
> > supposed to be looking at all sources).
> >
> > It doesn't seem to find the Debian resources.  All of the normal groff
> > stuff seems to be there except info.  So how do I get it through the
> > package installer without breaking anything?
>
> On Ubuntu 8.04 with package groff version 1.18.1.1-16 installed I find
> typing `info' results in a page with
>
>     Miscellaneous
>     * Groff: (groff).               The GNU troff document formatting
[...]
> The info files themselves are in the groff package.

Sorry for my delay in replying.

I suspect that Clarke's problem was as you say in the last sentence
above: the info files are in the groff package. Only groff-base is
installed by default, which is enough to read manual pages but does not
have all the documentation, devices, etc. You can install the groff
package using System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager.