Re: [Groff] GNU Bazaar import of Groff

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [Groff] GNU Bazaar import of Groff
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 11:50:00 +0000

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 08:24:41AM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > It's one revision per affected file.  It could well be a bug in the
> > conversion program (or at least the lack of a feature to handle this
> > sort of thing some better way; it does have to track it somehow when
> > a file is on a branch other than MAIN, since if that changes the
> > effective contents of the repository could change without there
> > being anything that looks like a changeset expressing the change),
> > although from the sound of things it is also an unintended
> > repository layout. :-)
>
> What about contacting the bzr authors, asking for an option to the
> CVS->bzr converter so that you can suppress `branch imports'
> altogether?  Perhaps better, I can imagine having an option which
> accepts a file with a list of file names or directories which
> shouldn't be handled as being on a branch.

While that might be possible, this typically runs unattended under
fairly minimal configuration.

> > If these files aren't actually supposed to have their default branch
> > set to 1.1.1 (essentially equivalent to a vendor branch), then
> > perhaps you could fix it in the repository?  Running 'cvs admin -b'
> > on each affected file ought to do it.
>
> This is something the Savannah people have to execute, I believe.  Can
> you provide a batch file which does exactly the right thing?  It looks
> like a good and simple solution, regardless of contacting the bzr
> developers.

I've attached a script which does this; it needs to be run from a
checkout of :ext:cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/sources/groff module groff. I've
tested that it produces no textual change in a CVS checkout, and that
after this the bzr conversion creates no filler changesets.

Thanks,