Re: [Groff] GNU Bazaar import of Groff

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] GNU Bazaar import of Groff
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 12:16:12 +0000

Hi Zvezdan,

> I did not use bzr, but based on information I've seen, these are not
> "undefended assertions".  See, for example,
>
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0374/#tests-impressions
>
> Those numbers look bad to me, and the only indication to the contrary
> is that version 1.9 "should" bring the numbers down.  A "should" is
> probably not good enough next to two competitors that already have
> numbers to show.

He says he's testing bzr 1.5.  It's now at version 1.12.

> The Mozilla project had similar benchmarking experience.
> http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/preed/2007/04/version_control_system_shootou_1.html

Timing results from April 2007?  It says "We did most of these tests
with the bzr version available at the time, 0.14"

It's known and accepted that bzr's performance compared badly amongst
its peers in the past.  But pointing back to old results doesn't give us
much information about how it is *now*.  And personally, I don't find
its performance a chore.

Cheers,

Ralph.