Re: [Groff] \(aq not working in OpenSolaris environment

From: Daniel Leidert
Subject: Re: [Groff] \(aq not working in OpenSolaris environment
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 18:31:41 +0100

Am Mittwoch, den 11.02.2009, 08:20 +0100 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
> > I'm testing some groff source with non-GNU troff in an OpenSolaris/
> > SunOS 5.11 environment and noticed a problem. I'm using \(aq in the
> > source to represent straight apostrophes, but when I view the TTY
> > output, no apostrophes (nor any other characters) show up where they
> > should be.
> >
> > Does \(aq not work with AT&T troff?
>
> It's a groff extension.  If you look into the groff_char(7) man page
> you can see that only entity names marked with `+' can be found in the
> original AT&T troff.
>
> > Is there some alternative way I can mark it up instead?
>
> In a TTY, you have to use ', I think.

The apostrophe (and also the escaped apostrophe both) render as a right
single quotation mark accordingly to groff_char(7). It further says:

> '      the ISO Latin-1 ‘Apostrophe’ (code 39) prints as ’, a right single
> quotation mark; the corresponding ISO Latin-1  charac‐
>               ters can be obtained with \‘ and \(aq.

but "\‘" doesn't render as an apostrophe with groff (on my Debian Sid).
The original bug report (related to what Michael asked) was sent to
Debian:

http://bugs.debian.org/507673

So following your answer it seems, there is no way to represent a
straight apostrophe in a portable way?

Regards, Daniel