Re: [Groff] Problem with -me package

From: walter harms
Subject: Re: [Groff] Problem with -me package
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 13:28:48 +0100

Anton Shepelev schrieb:
> Mike Bianchi
>

>> To format a document of arbitrary length as _one_ nroff page
>> I use this trick.
>>
>> First, set the page length _very_ long.
>>         .pl 99999
>>
>> And then make the last two lines of input a line break and
>> setting the page length to the _current_ page length.
>>         .br
>>         .pl \\n[nl]u
>
> Thanks for pointing out the real nroff way of doing it!
>
> Walter Harms:
>> hi Anton,
>> can you please post the groff version and the code that caused the bug ?
>
> groff version 1.19.2
>
> Code:
> ----------------------
> .nr tm 0v
> .nr bm 0v
> Hello, Josephine; How do you do; Do you remember me, baby;
> Like I remember you?
> ----------------------
>
> Not sure I am doing it right, maybe I just didn't
> understand what the bm value means...

it does not matter, groff should not crash on any user input

A quick test with a older Version show following:
groff --version
GNU groff version 1.18.1

 groff -mme -Tlatin1 test.me
troff: fatal error: input stack limit exceeded (probable infinite loop)
grotty:<standard input>:5: character above first line discarded

It seems it is caused with "bm"
.nr bm 4v works
.nr bm 3v causes the error

re,