Re: [Groff] Local/global/my/common

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Local/global/my/common
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 09:05:37 +0100 (CET)

> Yes. In the request index there are names and page numbers,
> e.g. `pnr ............... 168' If one is looking for a function but
> does not know the request's name, it takes a long time to find what
> one wants.  Try this, no, try that, no, try this, yeah.
>
> However, if there was some text between request names and page
> numbers, e.g. `pnr ... print num regs ... 168' then one's search
> would be a few secs.  Especially if this text would start with a
> prefix, e.g. `pnr ... deb: print num regs ... 168' with `deb' for
> debugging.

Well, the index of requests is not intended for what you want.
Instead, you should use the concept index, and indeed, there you find,
for example,

  number registers, dumping (pnr) ...... xxx

Maybe you are looking at an older version of groff.texinfo which
doesn't have this entry?  Or can you advise more index entries in case
you have looked into the concept index but didn't found .pnr?

Of course it would be nice if the request index has additional info
too, but while the concept index has manually added entries, the
request index (and others too) are created automatically.  It
shouldn't be too difficult to change the affected macros and provide
the proper short descriptions.  Do you volunteer?  I can rewrite the
macros, but you would have to walk over groff.texinfo and change all
macro calls accordingly.