Re: [Groff] Trying to understand groff development and release model

From: Halim Issa
Subject: Re: [Groff] Trying to understand groff development and release model
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 19:29:42 +0100

On Monday 22 December 2008 19:18:15 Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> You could update all copyright notices from GPL2 to GPL3.  This is
> something which should be done before the release, and which is
> completely non-technical.  This would be indeed a great help!

Sure thing - since I'm new to this I just want to make sure I understand
correctly. Basically what is needed is to upgrade all the source headers from
GPL2 to the following text:

    This file is part of groff.

    groff is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
    the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
    (at your option) any later version.

    groff is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,

    along with groff.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

So basically I need to rip out the GPL2 part and puts this one in place in
each and every source file, and then just include the basic LICENSE and
COPYING files from gplv3 ?

Shouldn't all prior contributors to groff also approve before their code is
relicensed, or is this handled by the existing sentence saying "GPLv2 or
later" in current source code?

I downloaded the -current tarball and will base my changes on that one. How
would you prefer me to submit those changes?

Just wanted confirmation before I start so I don't waste a lot of mine and
your time.

Thanks!