Re: [Groff] Trying to understand groff development and release model

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Trying to understand groff development and release model
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:13:53 +0100 (CET)

> I've been searching the mailing list archives and wikis to try to
> understand why there has been no groff release for years, while
> during the same time what seems like a lot of useful commits have
> been done to the source code.

Sigh.

> I am sure there are good reasons from the core developers to deviate
> from the "release early, release often" mantra of open source
> software,

There aren't.

> but since I have not been able to find it, I was hoping perhaps
> someone could kindly take the time to shed some light and a few
> sentences on the current development status, and what are the main
> reasons for not pushing some of the useful commits into a new
> release?

It should be released as soon as possible, I fully agree.
Unfortunately, it's only me who is working on groff, and I can't
afford enough time to really come to the point where I can
wholeheartily say `it's time to do a release'...

Well, I should probably release the current CVS as 1.19.3, regardless
of its state...