[Groff] Vertical Movement - Sticky?

From: Toby Chaloner
Subject: [Groff] Vertical Movement - Sticky?
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 13:31:18 -0800 (PST)

I am trying to move vertically up before adding some paragraphs at the new
location.  (I am actually trying to create a fixed format envelope an write
the country, and a record number where the stamp will go.)
When I execute the following the word FRANCE appears in the correct vertical
position, but the number 0001 is positioned near where the insertion point
was before.  As a total newbie to groff can anyone help please.  The code I
tried is is below.
hello
.br
world