Re: [Groff] Signaling diagrams?

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Signaling diagrams?
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 16:15:40 -0000 (GMT)

On 26-Nov-08 15:20:22, Larry Kollar wrote:
> Jon Snader wrote:
>>> Is there a program to generate signdling diagrams out there? I
>>> sure could use one right now
>>
>> What kind of signaling diagrams?  Trains, cells, ...?  For some
>> applications, I've found Graphviz makes an excellent front end to
>> pic (or you can generate ps, etc. directly).
>
> Telephony signaling or provisioning flows. RFC3261 has some examples
> (the first on page 12). A more complex example, pretty much as big as
> anything I'd have to deal with, is on page 30 of http://
> www.cablelabs.com/specifications/PKT-SP-PROV1.5-I03-070412.pdf
>
> I'll have Graphviz a look-see too, thanks.
> -- Larry

Is this the diagram labelled

Figure 6. Embedded-MTA Secure Power-on Initialization Flow (IPv4 eCM)?

In what format are the data specifying the components of the diagram
provided?

Despite appearances (which might suggest thinking of 'pic') I think,
on the face of it, that it looks like a job that 'tbl' could handle
nicely, with a certain amount of "magic".

However, to get to that poiint (or with 'pic', in fact) I think the
data file should be filtered through (say) a suitable 'awk' program
to generate code that would produce the desired result. This would
depend on how the original data are presented.

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 26-Nov-08                                       Time: 16:15:37