[Groff] Unformatted diversion?

From: Miklos Somogyi
Subject: [Groff] Unformatted diversion?
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:31:15 +1100

Hi,

I need to write a manual for PS routines, so I invested time in groff macros with PS capabilities. One of them accepts the name of an external PS file that may contain images or anything one may want. It is working well, and when this external file is big, it better stays external. However, many times they are only a few lines long, and these would better stay within the groff source.

a) Again, I have problem with "as is" or "raw". I wished for an unformatted diversion, but so far
I could not find a solution. E.g.

       .di xx
       .br
       \!aaaa
       \!bbbb
       \!cccc
       .br
       .di

merges the aaaa ... cccc lines just like without "\!" and they are regarded as a single string to print in the output.
Is there a way to define a diversion that just works raw?

b) If the above is possible, then is it possible too that my macro seeing a parameter can decide that this must be a file name or the name of a macro (that contains my raw material)?

Thank you,

Miklos