Re: [Groff] Line continuation

From: Miklos Somogyi
Subject: Re: [Groff] Line continuation
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 21:50:25 +1100

On 26/10/2008, at 06:50 PM, Keith Marshall wrote:

On Sunday 26 October 2008 01:22:38 Miklos Somogyi wrote:
I need to start the remainder at the beginning of
the next line. That would make my groff source
less readable:

    xxx  yyyy  wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    xxx  yyyy  wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    xxx  yyyy  wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww\
    wwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    xxx   yyyy  wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I would like to push the remainder of wwwww to the right so as not
to   obscure the  xxx  yyyy structure and ask
groff to please disregard all these leading spaces alongside with
the   linefeed.

Perhaps, if you gave us an example of your actual input, including
relevant requests, and the output you expect to see, it would be
easier for us to understand what you are trying to do.

Best guess, based on incomplete information: could this be what you
want?

    .nop   xxx  yyyy  wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    .nop   xxx  yyyy  wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    .nop   xxx  yyyy  wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww\c
    .nop                 wwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    .nop   xxx  yyyy  wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I'm happy that based on incomplete information you've still guessed it right, i.e. it was pure text ,
in no fill mode. Thank you.

However, my understanding is still not complete.
The documentation says: ".nop anything" executes "anything".
Somehow I could not see the connection between execute anything and ignoring leading spaces.

Now that you have done it, I think that .nop wwww is looking for something (other than spaces) to execute. Finding the wwww bunch it decides that it is text, not command, and how do you execute text:
you append it. Brilliant, if this is the solution. Is it?

Thanks,

Miklos

Regards,
Keith.