Re: [Groff] Line continuation

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Line continuation
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 10:26:56 +0000

Hi Miklos,

>     xxx  yyyy  wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
>     xxx  yyyy  wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
>     xxx  yyyy  wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww\
>     wwwwwwwwwwwwwww
>     xxx   yyyy  wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
>
> I would like to push the remainder of wwwww to the right so as not to
> obscure the  xxx  yyyy structure and ask groff to please disregard all
> these leading spaces alongside with the  linefeed.

I'd be tempted to have a simple preprocessor that joins these lines up
before groff seems them.

    $ cat miklos
    line 1
    line 2
    line 3 contin--
                 ued here.
    line 4 also carr--
                    ies on, --
                            and on, --
                                    and on.
    line 5 is at the end of the file--
    $ sed ':l;/--$/{N;s/--\n *//;b l}' <miklos
    line 1
    line 2
    line 3 continued here.
    line 4 also carries on, and on, and on.
    line 5 is at the end of the file--
    $

I've used `--' at the end of the line to try and avoid trampling on
anything else, but it's simple to change.

Cheers,

Ralph.