Re: [Groff] Line continuation

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Line continuation
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 11:44:57 -0400

Miklos Somogyi wrote:

When one needs to break a long line, the continuation needs to start at the beginning
of the next line. This spoils the readability of the file.
I would like to have something like this:

xxx   yyyy  wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww\X
                   wwwwwwwwww

where \X would cause groff to ignore the newline as well as the leading spaces of the next line.

I think you want \: which inserts a zero-width space. You can put in as many as you want at different points in the string where a break would look good. So if you have, say, a long URL, you could format it like this:

.CW "http://foo.example.org/\:some_directory/\:a_sub_dir/ \:sub_sub_dir/\:flowchart.png"

If the URL hits the margin, groff puts the break after the / closest to the margin without going over.

Hope that helps,

-- Larry