Re: [Groff] .als problem

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] .als problem
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 14:09:18 +0100

On Saturday 04 October 2008 12:15:40 Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > > What do you expect?  Current reality is that troff bombs out
> > > with
> > >
> > >   xxx:7: fatal error: input stack limit exceeded (probable
> > > infinite loop)
> >
> > I didn't expect this, and set out writing this email to say it
> > was wrong, but having thought about it, it's understandable.

I discovered this behaviour, in not quite so dramatic form, when I was
developing pdfmark.tmac; in my case, I didn't introduce unintentional
recursion, but I did find that redefining either of a pair of mutual
aliases affected both.  That seemed natural to me, at the time.

> Yeah.  Here is my addition to the documentation of .als in the info
> file:

It is good to clarify this, in the documentation; just one very minor
nit...

>      The definition of macro `bar' replaces the old object this
> name is linked to.  However, the alias to `foo' is still active!
> With other words, ...

"With other words" is a direct translation of the German idiom.  It
seems stilted in English, where the idiomatically correct expression
is "In other words".

Regards,
Keith.