[Groff] GSView question (groff-PostScript viewer)

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: [Groff] GSView question (groff-PostScript viewer)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:23:02 -0600

I finally bit the bullet and got rid of my Windows 98 SE operating
system, replaced the drive with a RAID mirror pair of 500 Gbyte
drives, added 2 Gbytes of memory, and installed Ubuntu Linux.

I feel like the outcast who came out of the cold dark winter into
the summer sunshine. :-)

On my old setup, I was using groff running in a bash shell as part
of the cygwin package, and got the shareware PostScript viewer
"GSView" which I really like for several reasons.

However, when I loaded Ubuntu, the closest I could get is the
freeware KDE product "KGhostView" which displays just fine, but
leaves three problems:

   1. Every time I reload the PS file, it resets to page 1
      instead of automatically detecting the file being changed
      and reloading automatically (I *really* like that feature).

   2. It doesn't display the page number in the lower border of
      the program window ("Page n of x").

   3. The nifty counter in the bottom border that shows the x,y
      coordinates of the cursor on the PostScript page is missing
      and I need that feature so I can check dimensions and
      locations when doing page design and layout work (saves
      printing a lot of paper).

In searching on GSView, I get some garbage web sites that claim to
"crack" the program, but I haven't encountered a definitive
indication of whether GSView is available for Ubuntu.  Ubuntu's
Add/Remove software function doesn't know about it, and it's always
nice to be able to use that function because it is so effortless and
clean, in comparison with dowloading product packages and installing
them manually.

Anyone on the list using GSView on Linux?

If that isn't available, I'll have to fire up my Windows XP
machine (YUK!) and get GSView installed on it...

Thanks,

Clarke