Re: [Groff] eqn troubles

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] eqn troubles
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 18:22:55 +0100 (BST)

As promised earlier, I have now visited my friend to see how
his Macs deal with it. On both machines, I first entered (in a
"terminal" window) the following:

$ eqn << EOT
.EQ
x = y + z
.EN
EOT

and got the usual slew of eqn output, and no error message.
Then I did essentially the same with groff:

$ groff -Tps -e -ms > ted.ps << EOT
.EQ
x = { Y + Z } over { A + B } times ( C + D )
.EN
EOT

and the resulting PostScript file had the equation nicely formatted
(and there were no error messages from the command).

He says he is using  "OS X latest version (10.4.9) of Tiger",
(regularly updated), and when (in "terminal") I did

$ uname -a

I got: "Darwin 8.11.1, Kernel version 8.11.1" from October 2007.

The version of groff (and eqn, troff, grops) from "groff -version"
is 1.19.1 throughout.

The only thing not right which I saw was that when I did the -Tascii
version of the above (to see what would happen in the text window):

$ groff -Tascii -e -ms | less << EOT
.EQ
x = { Y + Z } over { A + B } times ( C + D )
.EN
EOT

the "Y + Z" was displayed several (approx 15) lines above the

     A + B

but that may well be a separate issue (or may mean that I don't
know how to talk properly to a Mac!).

Hoping this helps!
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>