Re: [Groff] eqn troubles

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] eqn troubles
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 14:06:16 +0100

Hi Miklos,

(Please keep the list CC'd so it doesn't fall on only me to answer.)

Did the two-line pipeline I provided work?

> 1) eqn filename                   -> syntax error "context is >>> x=y+z <<<",
>
> though it should work
>
> 2) grog filename              -> groff -e filename
>
>      groff -e filename            -> syntax error
>
> 3) groff -e -ms filename  -> syntax error  (-ms is what you suggested)
>
> 4) alias gr "groff -set -I directoryname -P -Pprologue-1.19.2-ms  \!:1
>  > temporary-file"
>
>     this alias has been working well for a long time, though I haven't
> had eqn jobs
>
>     here "directoryname" is the directory of all my include files
> (e.g. a modified prologue)
>
>     gr filename                      -> syntax error
>
>      If I soelim e.tmac, it does not make a difference
>
> Please note that eqn IS called, just it does not accept anything as
> valid.

Are you doing this on Mac OS X as your Mailer header suggests?  There's
rumours that eqn as shipped by Apple has issues.
http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg04206.html  Perhaps someone
who uses a Mac can comment on the latest situation?

Cheers,

Ralph.