[Groff] -pspic causes hang

From: Doug McIlroy
Subject: [Groff] -pspic causes hang
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 19:24:22 -0400

Under groff 1.18.1.1 on Cygwin or Linux Fedora, pspic causes groff
to hang unless I take unusual measures.  A simple demo:

        groff -pspic /dev/null

Looking deeper, I am surprised to find pic running--I can't
imagine why. Apparently some process is trying to read
standard input.  It can be satisfied by giving it an eof:

        groff -pspic /dev/null </dev/null

Can anybody offer insight into what's happening, or whether
the phenomenon is replicable?