Re: [Groff] add extra footer with running page numbers

From: Jeremy C. Reed
Subject: Re: [Groff] add extra footer with running page numbers
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 14:57:13 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:

> If you're using groff's man macros, try running groff with
> "-rC1", e.g.,
>
>   [stuff] | groff -Tps -man -rC1 >output.ps

Thanks. I now see that documented in the groff_man(7) manual. But the
version I have says "If more than one manual page is given on the command
line, ..." -- but you don't have to list them on the command line. I did:

cat man8 | xargs cat | tbl | groff -Tps -man -rC1 > output.ps

And that worked for me -- the page numbering didn't reset. (man8 is a
small list of file names.)

But if I use a larger list of files, it fails with:

<standard input>:2885: fatal error: input stack limit exceeded (probable
infinite loop)

Doing it individually like I did before but with -rC1 also reset page
number to one each time.

I don't know how to increase the "input stack limit".

I haven't tried latest groff. For now I am using NetBSD's version of
groff 1.19.2.