Re: [Groff] CJK typography support?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] CJK typography support?
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:59:27 +0200 (CEST)

> First congratulations on putting UTF-8 encoding support into groff.
> I am using the CVS checkout, at the moment no release version can
> read roff script in UTF-8 yet.

I try to make a release (but I said so a year ago too)...

> Next would be push this internationalization effort a little bit
> more for adding CJK typography support?

If you look up the groff mailing list archive, you can see that this
has already been discussed earlier.

> There are information can be looked up on the Internet. But
> generally a very small trick of simply adding an zero-width space
> before and after each ideograph can make the print at least
> readable.

As the author of the CJK package for LaTeX I know how to do this, but
groff needs a different solution because the concept of `active
characters' doesn't exist in groff.

> Currently groff is not usable for text with mostly Chinese
> ideograph, because each paragraph only has one line, has no
> linebreak within (groff only line-break where space is, a typical
> Chinese paragraph doesn't have a single space in it).  Once someone
> started to use it they can contribute more ideas / code / know-how
> on how to make it better.

The very problem is that I want to avoid an ad-hoc solution for
Chinese only (an ad-hoc solution for Japanese only already exists,
cf. the groff 1.18 version of debian) -- the first thing is to
implement proper font support.  Do you volunteer?

Some ideas can be found here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=cjkpunct&submit=Search&idxname=groff