Re: [Groff] Re: groff bug - eqn

From: Joerg van den Hoff
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: groff bug - eqn
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 20:47:23 +0200

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 08:59:30PM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > In addition to my new MAC laptop (with groff v 1.19.2). I have been
> > able to access a MAC desktop with groff v 1.19.1.  I ran three
> > different files on the desktop using groff -ms -e filename >
> > filename.ps All three ran without error and produced postscript
> > output.  All three had extensive equations.  The same three would
> > not run on the laptop.  They produced an output file with text
> > (including ms features) but with equations blank.
> >
> > I am contemplating downloading groff v 1.19.1 to the laptop
> > replacing the newer v1.19.2.
> >
> > Would you comment?
>
> I can't since I don't have a Mac.  However, I've forwarded this mail
> to the groff mailing list -- some users have experienced similar
> problems and might help you, IIRC.

just a bit of feedback: I've used groff for years now with Mac OS
without any Mac specific problems I think (currently I use 1.19.3 but
it was OK previously, too). what I've seen frequently is, that equations
are not correctly rendered if the Mac postscript/pdf-viewer (`Preview')
is used: `Preview' (or rather the Mac pdf-rendering machine) is known
to be a bit buggy. so, if you produce postscript output with groff and
either open this directly with `Preview' or first convert it with
the ghostscript utility (`ps2pdf'), in both instances you'll get a
display which is to a varying extent corrupted (mostly in equations).
the same files look fine when viewed with `gv', `xpdf', or `acrobat'
(and print fine, too).

I understand that this is not your current problem, but just in case
you've not noticed this one.

joerg