Re: [Groff] Devps unmatched metrics

From: Denis M. Wilson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Devps unmatched metrics
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 11:54:12 +0100

Tadziu Hoffman wrote:

> For the sake of argument, I will contest this.  The default
> setup for the ps device -- analogous to, for example,
> the lj4 device -- should create output that can be sent
> to the corresponding printer -- Postscript or PCL -- using
> whatever fonts are provided by the device itself.  As such,
> the metrics should correspond to those of the builtin fonts.
> Anything else should be delegated to an add-on package.

I have to take issue with this. My printer (lj4) does not have
the fonts, its builtin fonts I cannot use because I require to
preview before printing. Everything is done via GhostScript.

In any case I have made a version of devps and generate which
creates the troff metrics from the URW fonts. Thus now what
I see in the previewer is what I get. I did it this way as my
other scripts did not do some of the hacks (eg to Symbol).
I had to rewrite `afmnames', and add some other scripts.

There are still two problems: (1) the font I call Times-Roman
appears in the generated postscript as NimbusRomanNo9L-Regu;
(2) there are kerns and ligatures in The Courier family. The
ligatures have been removed. Two useful options to afmtodit
would be to (a) change the internal name; (b) remove kern data.

I'll post my installation scripts. As they are sizeable how
should I do this?

Denis M. Wilson