[Groff] Devps unmatched metrics

From: Denis M. Wilson
Subject: [Groff] Devps unmatched metrics
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:33:55 +0100

The devps metric files distributed with groff are I believe
computed from the Adobe versions of the faces. Many of us
(particularly Linux users) are using `clones' of these
contributed by URW. Although supposedly identical, they
are not.

Although similar the sizes are slightly different, and in
addition the URW versions have many more glyphs, including
the Euro (not yet of much use to us Scots...).

I believe that an installation should attempt to build
the metric files from the local fonts, although adapting
the Makefile in `generate' is not quite trivial.

Then there is the problem of adding additional faces. I have
a large collection acquired or purchased from several sources.
These are installed by a script which looks up a database.

How do other groff users do this? Could we collaborate on
a general method which once completed could be offered as
a contribution?

I'm willing to release what I've done.

Denis M. Wilson