RE: [Groff] problem with pic

From: Y T
Subject: RE: [Groff] problem with pic
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 18:10:33 -0700

The "non-broken" interpretation is fine.
The real concern is regarding consistency between the interpretation of
grap and pic. Since Ted Faber indicated that he plans to fix grap, everything
should be okay at some point.  For now, perhaps there should be a comment
in the PROBLEMS file regarding the incompatibility between grap
and the latest version of pic, with a suggestion to use 1.19.2 pic
until grap is modified.

> Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 08:55:25 +0100
> To: address@hidden
> From: address@hidden
> CC: address@hidden; address@hidden; address@hidden
> Subject: [Groff] problem with pic
>

>>> I suppose it is going to boil down to a matter of "taste".
>>>
>>> Old AT&T pic treated
>>>
>>>   line from 1,1 then up 1
>>>
>>> exactly the same as
>>>
>>>   line from 1,1 up 1
>>
>> As I read pic documentation, these *should* behave differently; the
>> former should plot two line segments, the latter only one.  If AT&T
>> pic produces identical results in both cases, then IMO it doesn't
>> behave as documented, so could be considered broken.
>
> Yes, AT&T is broken here, I think.  In CSTR 116, section 8 (`Lines and
> Splines'), it is explicitly written:
>
>   The word `then' separates components of the path.
>
> And examples are given like that:
>
>   line right 1 then down .5 left 1 then right 1
>
> which makes a zig-zag line having three components.  So it is clear
> that `components' are visible parts of the line, not syntactical
> parts.  However, examples using the `from' keyword are given only for
> arcs, so I assume that during development of pic this particular case
> slipped through the grammar.
>
> Brian, could you comment, please?
>

>     Werner

In a rush?  Get real-time answers with Windows Live Messenger.