RE: [Groff] Headers with text and images

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] Headers with text and images
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 23:11:20 -0000 (GMT)

On 05-Mar-08 21:49:16, Louis Guillaume wrote:
> Hi!
> So far I have had very good success formatting my documents
> the "normal" ms-macro way using .TL etc., putting my logo
> above the .TL with .PSPIC.
> Like this...
> .PSPIC mylogo.eps 2in
> .TL
> .nf
> .LG
> PROPOSAL
>
> \f(BIREAL TITLE HERE\fP
> .SM
>
> ETC ETC.
>
> But now I want to increase the degree of difficulty. Let's say
> I want the Logo to be left-justified in the top left corner of
> the page, and the "REAL TITLE" in larger text, right-justified
> adjacent to the logo with the .AU, .IN, etc. under it.
>
> I can't seem to figure it out. Can anyone help?

The following, for example, is how I arrange my letter-head.
It consists of a grey-scale photo ("logo") in the top left,
with the address details beside it on the right.

The photo is an EPS file, which has BoundingBox  0 0 639 148
(in points). I.e. the original is 8.875 inches wide, 2.05555
inches high. My technique in cases like this is to bracket
the elements of logo and address in \Z'....' so that, whatever
goes in, I come back to my starting-point and know where I am.

Positioning is done by explicit \h'...' and \v'...' commands.
The \X'ps: import ... ' command imports the EPS and makes it
print at a width of 252000u = 252p = 3.5 inches.

\v'0.467i'\
\Z'\
\v'3p'\
\X'ps: import /usr/share/groff/tmac/wat-res_1_gray.eps \
0 0 639 148 252000'\
'\
[followed by commands which position and print the lines
of the address to the right of the logo]

The first \v'0.467i'\ imposes a general vertical displacement
on everything. Every item thereafter is wrapped in \Z'...'
and is individually positioned with \h'...' and av'...'.

> It would be very good to have a comprehensive documentation of
> page-layout features and macros expressed in terms of moving
> "objects" about on the page. Maybe it exists already?
>
> Louis.

In the sense that the requests and escapes which one would use
are individually documented, it does exist. But I don't think
anyone has made a guide to this general theme (which lies,
I suppose, in the domain of "desktop publishing" -- which groff
can do perfectly well). People usually work out their individual
approaches to it: it takes some time and experimentation at first,
but once done it is done!

However, I'm not sure that "moving objects about on the page"
is a good way to express it. Groff does not move objects; it
places them exactly where and how you tell it to place them,
and thereafter they stay put until you tell groff to place
the differently.

Hoping this helps,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>