Re: [Groff] Request "cf"

From: Miklos Somogyi
Subject: Re: [Groff] Request "cf"
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 22:57:27 +1100

On 01/03/2008, at 6:32 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

In one of my early posts regarding actions a) .. e) I said that
processing an eps image needed something "pre", then the image, then
something "post".

I probably didn't understand the situation to comment on this then.

You say that the solution is to use \X with hooks for before and
after.  This is not "the" solution, this is "a" solution.  My
suggestions (".cf-I-go-where-you-want-me-to-go or
.trf-I-don't-cook-the-books") too could work just as well.

Given how you've written your macros, I can't see how this would work,
from a technical point of view: How would you make `.trf' or `.cf'
expand at the right time?  Maybe I was too tired or I'm still thinking
too much in TeX right now (since I'm writing two papers with it
currently)...  You say that you've found a solution using `.trf' --
please post it here.

I haven't, you did. You taught me about this in bits an' pieces a year or so ago:

.de file2buffer \" filename buffername
.      di   \\$2
.      trf   \\$1
.      di
..
.de end1
..
.
.de mac1         \" parameter: name of file to "upload"
.
.      file2buffer \\$1 buffer
.
.de mac1_aux end1
       ps: exec

      ..................             "pre" for file to be uploaded

\\*[buffer] upload file (can be eps image, unless ascii85 encoded)

      ..................            "post" for uploaded file
.end1
\Y[mac1_aux]
..

.    mac1 my-dog.eps

One and only aux macro, one pair of EBEGIN/EEND for the whole thing.

After a lot of cutting it is now under 100k, I hope it will get
through.

Just curiosity. At nabble the three pdf attachments are of sizes 49,
14, 48k whilst at my end they are 40, 12, and 36.

That's under 100 in toto here and over 100 there.

Hmm, no idea.  However, I think the limit is somewhere around
40kByte...

Not much for graphics ...