Re: [Groff] Request "cf"

From: Miklos Somogyi
Subject: Re: [Groff] Request "cf"
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 16:14:14 +1100

Werner, I am glad to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
In one of my early posts regarding actions a) .. e) I said that processing an eps image needed something
"pre", then the image, then something "post".

I reported the problem that with the current tools this required the making of three different sections (\Y, \X, \Y)
and grops neatly encapsulated these sections with EBEGIN/EEND pairs.
This caused a problem of communications between the sections and required redoing things in section 3 and, in
general, it looked rather messy.

You say that the solution is to use \X with hooks for before and after.
This is not "the" solution, this is "a" solution.
My suggestions (".cf-I-go-where-you-want-me-to-go or .trf-I-don't-cook- the-books") too could work just as well. Both ways there would be one section, one EBEGIN/EEND pair, no communication problems, no duplications.

For me it does not matter which one. Perhaps I would miss a true "cp" from groff that is after all a
programming-language-like creature.

For the time being I'll save and re-define EBEGIN/EEND in section 1, and restore them in section 3.
It will look ughhhly but at least it will work.
Werner, I much appreciate that you are willing to deal with this problem even though probably it does not strictly
fit into the guidelines for maintenance.

Thanks,

Miklos