Re: [Groff] nroff vs. troff conditional using escapes?

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] nroff vs. troff conditional using escapes?
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:06:44 -0700

If you place a space at the start of a line, it causes a break.
If preceded by \& (a non-printing space), that should suppress it.

Clarke

Michael(tm) Smith wrote:
Clarke Echols <address@hidden>, 2008-02-25 20:56 -0700:

    .PP
    For more information, see the preceding section (\c
    .t-or-n "Description\c" "DESCRIPTION\c"
    ) or the
    .t-or-n "Introduction" "INTRODUCTION"
    section for this document.

 Also I should not have put the \c escapes in the second .t-or-n
 line.

Thanks -- I hadn't know I could do what with \c.

So I think what would actually best for me to try to do is have
my app always generated the \c before and after the string, and to
preserve any whitespace that follows the string; like this:

  .PP
  For more information, see the preceding section (\c
  .t-or-n "Description\c" "DESCRIPTION\c"
  ) or the \c
  .t-or-n "Introduction\c" "INTRODUCTION\c"
   section for this document.

Is that safe in groff? I know it's now safe to have space at the
end of lines, but is it safe to have it at the beginning of line?

  --Mike