Re: [Groff] nroff vs. troff conditional using escapes?

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] nroff vs. troff conditional using escapes?
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 20:53:16 -0700

Michael(tm) Smith wrote:

The particular problem I run into with using a request for this is
that when the term I wanted to have alternative strings for is
immediately preceded and/or followed by a punctuation mark. For
example, a user might have DocBook source (which my app needs to
convert to groff source) like this:

  <para>For more information, see the preceding section (<xref
  linkend="desc"/>) or the <xref linkend="intro"/> section for
  this document.</para>

So when I generate groff source from that -- which includes
dereferencing the <xref> instances to get the title of the
sections they points to (e.g. "Description") -- I get:

  .PP
  For more information, see the preceding section (
  .t-or-n "Description" "DESCRIPTION"
  ) or the
  .t-or-n "Introduction" "INTRODUCTION"
  section for this document.

And if I then view the rendered output of that, I get:

  For more information, see the preceding section ( Description )
  or the Introduction section for this document.

That is, an undesirable wordspace gets inserted after the between
the parens before and after the word "Description".

Hence my question about whether there really is no way I could use
a set of escapes instead of a request...

  --Mike

Add the line-continuation escape inside the argument:

   .PP
   For more information, see the preceding section (
   .t-or-n "Description\c" "DESCRIPTION\c"
   ) or the
   .t-or-n "Introduction\c" "INTRODUCTION\c"
   section for this document.

That will prevent insertion of whitespace where end-of-line occurs
in the source file.

Clarke