Re: [Groff] colored background?

From: Miklos Somogyi
Subject: Re: [Groff] colored background?
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 17:59:31 +1100

On 23/02/2008, at 3:52 PM, Michael(tm) Smith wrote:

Tadziu Hoffmann <address@hidden>, 2008-02-22 18:07 +0100:

I ask because for program listings and other "verbatim"
output, dblatex and the DocBook XSL stylesheets for FO
output cause the output to be rendered with a light-gray
background. That really helps to set the program listing
off from the rest of text.

(Personally, I find it looks ugly compared to the plain white
background used by Brian Kernighan, W. Richard Stevens, etc.)

Yes, usually it's a "Hey! Look what my word processor can do!"
gimmick.

Yep, colour, just like anything else, can be abused. Also, colour can be elegant and its consistent and moderate use can help organize one's text very well.

White only can be very boring, and by lack of its visual clues it would want one read the whole thing again when one only wants to find something specific. If anything out of the white legacy thing is gimmick, then I want my word processor
to learn a lot of gimmicks.
If one talks about 3d relationships, nothing beats a 3d sketch that is as clear as possible,
whether one wants to brag about what his/her word processor can do.

Yep, I would not want anyone not to make their thoughts as accurate and precise as they can, but would much welcome formatting efforts that would give readers an instant recognition of this or that. This does not have to be graphics, e.g. considerate naming of files too would do a good job, e.g.

   ln -s existing-file newly-created-pointer

or something like that. This "formatted" definition does not need a long paragraph after it that would
make someone's head spin.
A good lecturer is made up of clarity of thought AND presentation skills in equal measure.

My 2 cents,

Miklos

True -- I think in the case of authoring technical documentation
at least, most authors would be a lot better off focusing on
trying to make their content accurate and precise, and less on
formatting niceties.

But I guess it's also useful for conference posters
or the like.  Or maybe for "Danger!" or "Important" notices.

Here is something to play around with, maybe you'll find it
useful:

Thanks very much -- the following works like a charm. One
question: Is there a way I could modify it so that the filled box
extends all the way across the whole line length? (i.e., from the
left margin / page offset to the right margin).

Also, when I process a doc with this, it displays as expected but
I get a message saying "troff: automatically ending diversion `BX'
on exit." Is there some tweak I need to make to eliminate that?

 --Mike

.\"
.de BB
.br
.in +2n
.ll -2n
.gcolor red
.di BX
..
.de EB
.br
.di
.in
.ll
.gcolor
.nr BW \\n(dl-\\n(.i
.nr BH \\n(dn+.5v
.ne \\n(BHu+.5v
\M[yellow]\h'1n'\v'-.5v'\D'P \\n(BWu 0 0 \\n(BHu -\\n(BWu 0 0 -\ \n(BHu'\M[]
.in 0
.sp -.5v
.nf
.BX