Re: [Groff] colored background?

From: Michael(tm) Smith
Subject: Re: [Groff] colored background?
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 22:38:05 +0900

"Michael(tm) Smith" <address@hidden>, 2008-02-22 21:54 +0900:

> ... But I can't seem to actually test it because I'm not getting
> boxed text in PS output even with the unmodified B1/B2 macros --
> though I do get it as expected in TTY output.

After doing a little more testing, I find that the unmodified
B1/B2 macros do cause a box to be drawn correctly if the text to
be boxed is more than one line long. But if there are any line
breaks specified in the source of the text (using .br or
whatever), they end up being ignored/eaten in the boxed output.

Another problem: When I do switch from \D'l to \D'P, I do get a a
filled rectangle as expected (if the surrounded text is more than
one line long), but it covers/obscures the text.

What I have now is this:

  \v'-1v+.25m'\
  \Z'\D'f 200''
  \D'P (u;\\n[.l]-\\n[.i]) 0\
   0 |\\n[par*box-top]u\
   0 -|\\n[par*box-top]u'

Using that, I get a light-gray filled rectangle, but it's not a
background (or not transparent) -- instead, it blocks the
underlying text such that it's no longer rendered.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike/