Re: [Groff] colored background?

From: Michael(tm) Smith
Subject: Re: [Groff] colored background?
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:05:46 +0900

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>, 2008-02-22 10:56 +0100:

> > Is there an recommended way to create a background in an alternate
> > color for a certain block of text?
>
> First, you have to draw a coloured rectangle, then you must type the
> text.  To get the dimensions of the text block, store the text in a
> diversion, get its height and width, then insert the diversion.

I'm wondering if as starting point, I could copy the ms B1/B2
macros and modify those? Or is it the case that those are just
drawing lines/borders instead of drawing an actual rectangle
(sorry, I ask because I don't know if there is a distinction in
groff between drawing a box and drawing a rectangle).

> > So I'm wondering if I might be able to achieve a similar effect in
> > the PS output from DocBook-generated man pages.
>
> Well, in case the text blocks are marked as such, this is doable.  But
> there is no standard way to do so in man pages.  However, the next
> groff release will propagate the `.EX/.EE' block for examples in man
> pages (this is in an-ext.tmac).  You could redefine them accordingly.

OK, thanks

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith