Re: [Groff] Request "cf"

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Request "cf"
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:33:48 +0100 (CET)

> >> Yes, .cf copies the external file (A and B) verbatim, but to the
> >> wrong place.
> >
> > Well, it works as documented...
> >

> The documentation does not seem to say that (unlike .trf's) .cf's
> output goes only to the intermediate file, not any further.  Is
> there any point in having it there?

The doc says `unprocessed' and mentions `\!' (which I've now corrected
to `\!\\!' for .cf) -- from groff.texinfo:

     If `\!' is used in the top-level diversion, its argument is
     directly embedded into the `gtroff' intermediate output.  This
     can be used for example to control a postprocessor which
     processes the data before it is sent to the device driver.

> >> I have no need for the intermediate file, I need the verbatim
> >> copy in the final (ps) output.

Well, PS is not the only output device driver...

> > Why not using
> >
> >  \X'ps: file foo'
> >

> Yes, I do.  Just that having things in a diversion would be far more
> convenient.

Please explain.  I can't see an immediate reason for this.

> > then?  It's not troff's job to prepare raw data for grops...
>
> I am probably wrong in this, but I always think in terms of groff
> and don't think of the sub-duties and interaction of its components
> unless I really have to.  And via .trf, troff does prepare raw data
> for grops by cooking them.  I thought that .cf would do the same,
> without cooking.

`.cf' is already available in AT&T troff, while `.trf' is a groff
extension.  groff must follow the original implementation.