[Groff] Program Bugs

From: John W. Smay
Subject: [Groff] Program Bugs
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:39:12 -0800

I have been using two programs from gnu with evolving Windows versions,
NT, W2K, XP for several years.  Recently I acquired a laptop with Vista.
The two programs, groff.exe and enscript.exe would not run under user logins
on Vista, producing errors of "Permission Denied" and  " ...... requies
elevation."
The programs would run if I logged on as Administrator.

After a week of thrashing I have found Vista's User Access Control (UAC) and
that it can be disabled.  This allowed all my gnu programs, groff.exe,
enscript.exe,  to run satisfactorily, but of course disables this important
security of Windows Vista.  This is a temporary solution to my problem,
however I believe a "bug" in the Vista compatibility of these programs.
Note that I am running  groff-1.17.2 while I note that there is a 1.19.2
available in which this problem may have been fixed, though looking at the
dates of 1.19.2 and the arrival date of Vista, it seems doubtful.