Re: [Groff] How to switch off line filling?

From: Dan H
Subject: Re: [Groff] How to switch off line filling?
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:33:19 +0100

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:35:05 +0100
Joerg van den Hoff <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 10:22:12AM +0100, Dan H wrote:
> > I use groff
> > with the mm package (because it is, as far as I know, the only
> > one that offers nested lists).

> I'm sure, `ms' provides everything you'd need as well.

I like ms better in general, but this is all its manpage has to say
about lists:

--------------------

Lists
       The IP macro handles duties for all lists.  Its syntax is as
follows:

       .IP [marker [width]]

              The marker is usually a bullet character \(bu for
unordered lists, a number (or auto-incrementing  num‐ ber register)
for numbered lists, or a word or phrase for indented (glossary-style)
lists.

              The  width specifies the indent for the body of each
list item.  Once specified, the indent remains the same for all list
items in the document until specified again.

--------------------

That's exactly all. Not even how to make a list item, how to end a
list, or if ot is possible to nest them. For practical purposes lists
are non-existent in ms.

> .pl 500c
>
> (assuming  a  5 meter long page is enough :-) ) and chop off
> trailing empty lines in  the  end.

OK, I got so far as well, but there must be a proper way to get rid
of pagination. I mean, man pages are not paginated, but I couldn't
get my head around the man tmac code to find out how they turn it
off.

> in `troff' with
>
> .po 0i

Yeah, found that by now. Thanks.