[Groff] Re: heirloom eqn

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: heirloom eqn
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 09:12:33 +0100 (CET)

> geqn seems to ignore part of explicit provided spaces "~" in the
> above example (it seems to be the default spacing anyway).  Is this
> intended behaviour: "increase spacing only by the difference of
> explicit provided space and default space"?

It seems so.  I've compared the distances of the equations

  x = y + z

and

  x~=~y~+~z

in the original eqn2e.ps documentaion file `Typesetting Mathematics --
User's Guide (Second Edition), pageĀ 1 andĀ 2.

The tilde characters before and after the equal sign cause no effect
in the output; only the tilde characters before and after the `+'
increase the spacing (by 0.6 PS points each, which is almost
invisible).  groff does exactly the same.