Re: [Groff] Character class support patch

From: brian m. carlson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Character class support patch
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 23:20:30 +0000

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 08:44:20AM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

A first remark without looking at the details of the patch (which
looks very clean, BTW):

Thank you.

What do you think of this syntax which reduces redundant syntactical
sugar:

 classes
   ClassName          A B C D E;
   EquivalentClass    A - E;
   UppercaseAlphabet  @EquivalentClass
                      F - Z;
   MostEfficient      A - Z;
   Identifier         - A - Z a - z;
   EquivIdentifier    A - Z - a - z;

I think we need a trailing comma or something like that to easily
support multiline entries (which greatly enhance readability).

Okay. I'll work on it this weekend. My concern was that a trailing punctuation mark might be interpreted as a character, although I suppose I can work around that.

I'll also substitute the std::map usage for a ptable.

Additionally, we need support for handling Unicode ranges:

   CJKpunct           u3000 - u303F;

My intention was that any valid glyph name was to be valid as a class character, but name_to_glyph apparently doesn't handle Unicode characters. Should I be using a different function, or should I extend name_to_glyph?

+1 713 440 7475 | http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc | My opinion only
a typesetting engine: http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc/code/thwack