Re: [Groff] Bug report: interaction between tbl and string variables

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Bug report: interaction between tbl and string variables
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 01:11:34 -0500

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

Indeed.  tbl sees that you want to format a numeric field, but you
don't give numbers but string registers.  To align numbers on the
decimal point it has to interpret the number since this must be done
by tbl itself, and during this process the string register name gets
truncated ...

While I still think it's a bug, [...]

Why do you think so?  At tbl stage it's impossible to expand a string
register!

Because it's truncating the string register. I think the correct behavior would be to pass it through without truncating.

Like I said, though, it's a moot point. Creating proper replacement markup macros only took a few minutes.

-- Larry