Re: [Groff] Bug report: interaction between tbl and string variables

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Bug report: interaction between tbl and string variables
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 15:44:25 -0500

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

It's something to do with tbl not correctly copying the whole string
register name into the troff output.  ... [example deleted] ...

Given tbl is a preprocessor and looks at the text you give to work out
alignment, it's probably not surprising?  I suppose tbl's logic could
become troff logic that was evaluated later, when the contents of string
registers are known.  This would be a change in behaviour though.

Thanks for the explanation, Ralph. While I still think it's a bug, these tables are common enough that they should probably have their own tags/macros anyway. Fortunately, it was a pretty simple addition.

-- Larry