Re: [Groff] Converting man pages to PDF and links

From: Andre-John Mas
Subject: Re: [Groff] Converting man pages to PDF and links
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 10:32:45 -0500

On 1-Dec-07, at 05:08 , Ralph Corderoy wrote:

Hi Andre-John,

I am currently using the following script for generating PDF version
of my man pages:

http://www.aasan.org/download/man2pdf

To add extra value I would like to have the references to other man
pages to be hyper-links, since I will be using them in a web browser.
Can anyone suggest a way doing this?

Are you aware of Keith Marshall's pdfmark macro package? It's available
under contrib in recent groff versions.  It lets you create a link in
PDF files, amongst other things.  I'd guess if you're viewing

   file:///home/andre/man/man3/malloc.pdf

and it has a link to ../man1/vgrind.pdf then that would work?

I wasn't aware of it. Thanks.

Just one question, how would I use it - my groff knowledge is fairly weak.
I tried:

groff -mpdfmark -c `man -w csh` > out.pdf

but that generated a postscript file without the right formatting.

Andre