Re: [Groff] building process stuck when building groff-current

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] building process stuck when building groff-current
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 22:15:30 +0100

On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 15:38 -0400, Larry Jones wrote:
> "That CVS" is a Windows client and the Windows line ending
> convention is <CR><LF>.

The vast majority of Win32 programs are totally agnostic to CRLF vs LF
only distinctions, when *reading* text files, (Microsoft's hideous
`notepad' is a notable exception).  Indeed, Microsoft's own `C' runtime,
MSVCRT, discards all CRs from the input stream, when they are followed
by LF; thus any program calling the read function in that library, to
read from a text stream, sees an apparently LF only input stream.

Conversely, the write function, in that same library, *inserts* a CR
before each LF when writing a text stream; thus, most Win32 programs do
write CRLF format text files, on output.

>   If you're pretending you're not really using
> Windows and want a different line ending convention, then you need a
> different CVS client that supports that environment.

Which, of course, is why we provide a CVS client in the MSYS Developer
Tool Kit, although this is now rather outdated.  Another client, which
is likely to be suitable, would be that provided by Cygwin.

Regards,
Keith.