[Groff] Fw: gtroff enhancement request

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Fw: gtroff enhancement request
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 22:30:38 +0200 (CEST)

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: gtroff enhancement request Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 14:02:36 -0600 (MDT)
        From address@hidden Sat Sep  8 01:56:32 2007

        > I'd like to be able to embed the .tkf request in that .FG invocation
        > so I don't have to 'unwrap' the macro when I need letter spacing
        > increased or decreased 'on the fly'; here's an example with a
        > simplified \T'' operator:
        >
        > .FG "Figure 2" \
        >     "A typical MRTG RRD file and update \
        > \T'R -0.1'operation. This RRD file stores two Data\T'R 0.1' \
        > Sources (DSes) in eight Round Robin Archives (RRAs): \
        > four AVERAGE and four MAX RRAs. The 5 minute AVERAGE \
        > and 5 minute MAX RRAs are being updated.

        Hmm.  Having an escape with so many parameters something I'm
        comfortable with.  What about using strings with arguments?  Look at
        this example:

          .de xxx
          \c
          .  gcolor \\$1
          ..
          .
          This is \*[xxx green]a test\*[xxx] with colours.

I thought about this last night, and I think I came up with a similar
idea  an escape that can call an arbitrary macro with arguments.
Is the string format '\*[]' the right syntax do you think?  Perhaps
\Q[macro arg1 ...] would work?  I think this is an idea worth
discussing.

RK

        ((__))       Rob Kolstad                      USACO Head Coach
         (00)        address@hidden   15235 Roller Coaster Road
   -nn--(o__o)--nn-  +1 719 481 6542        Colorado Springs, CO 80921
         ----        http://www.usaco.org         FAX: +1 719 481 6551

--- End Message ---