Re: [Groff] Re: gtroff enhancement

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: gtroff enhancement
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 11:18:43 +0100

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

> Rob, I took the liberty to forward your original mail to the groff
> mailing list.
>
>> Thus, I'd like to embed a .tkf function.
>
> What do you mean with `embed'?  It's not really clear what you want to
> have.  An escape?
>

>     Werner

Hi,

I've in the process of debugging grohtml and macro sets and was
wondering whether it might be useful to add a debugging mode to groff.
I tend to find debugging diversions difficult as well as tracking
contents of registers and strings etc.  So my thoughts turned to
whether it would be possible to add a pseudo gdb interface to groff.
So maybe a new option might invoke a:

(groff-db)

shell and thereafter a few key debugging commands could be
implemented.

(groff-db) break macroname
(groff-db) break filename:lineno
(groff-db) fin
(groff-db) cont
(groff-db) print registername
(groff-db) next
(groff-db) step

Once a filename:line pair has been added to 'node' - I suspect that a
number of these are pretty easy to implement.  If it mimicked the gdb
syntax then it should work with M-x gdb in emacs (or work with a
slightly modified copy).

Anyway - have I over looked something fundamental?

regards,
Gaius