[Groff] mpictures in groff

From: andlabs
Subject: [Groff] mpictures in groff
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 20:01:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hello. I'm getting ready to install Plan 9 from Bell Labs on an old computer
I have, and I noticed that it has a wonderful macro set called "mpictures",
which allows you to put a PostScript image within your document:

.BP image.ps
.\" Minimal; this just puts the image in
.EP

.BP image.ps 40
.\" keeps the image within a 40x\n(.l invisible frame.
.EP

.BP image.ps 300 300 r "" o "\fBhello\fP"
.\" resizes the image to a 300x300 square at the right of the page
.\" (the "" means no indent from that position; this is the default)
.\" and give it an outlined frame, under it put the words "Hello" in bold
All this text goes around the frame.
Using this space for text is useful.
The null argument was needed so I could use the others.
.br
.CW mpictures
does not only have this, but also a more powerful
.CW .PI
macro.
.EP

I tried moving the file from Plan 9's distro to my tmac/ folder, but it
didn't go very nicely with groff. Does groff provide an alternative? Thanks.